Safety Tips When Selling Your Home
As a home seller, it’s important to prioritize the safety of yourself and your home during the selling process. This is a significant reason people hire a professional real estate agent, they provide added safety and security. Here are some tips for ensuring the safety of your home while it is on the market regardless of if you are a FSBO or on the MLS:
- Keep valuables out of sight: It’s a good idea to keep valuable items, such as jewelry and electronics, out of sight during showings. This can help to prevent potential burglaries and make your home feel more welcoming to buyers. Keeping things out of sight reduces impulse grabs and in general, can detur a potential thief.
- Lock all doors and windows: Make sure to lock all doors and windows before and after showings to secure your home and protect your belongings. Having your home on the market means is being advertised and is now in the public domain. Combining tip 1 and 2 gives added protection so potential thieves cannot “scope out” the contents of your home.
- Use a lockbox: If you cannot be present during showings, consider using a lockbox to allow agents access to your home. This can provide an extra layer of security and prevent unauthorized access. There are electronic lockboxes available to agents which require special, keys, codes, or app access to open.
- Turn on the lights: Keeping your home well-lit during showings can help to deter burglars and make your home feel more welcoming and open. Not only will a well-lit home show better eliminating dark corners and rooms for people to hide will add to your safety while selling your home.
- Consider installing a security system: If you don’t already have a security system, now might be a good time to consider installing one. This can provide an extra layer of protection and peace of mind for you and potential buyers. There are many options for the DIYer. There are no wire and camera-only options. Discuss with your family to determine the best option for you.
By following these safety tips you can ensure the safety of your home and belongings during the selling process. It’s important to prioritize safety, as it can help to make the process of selling your home smoother and more successful.
80 Orville Dr. Suite 100 Bohemia, NY 11716