DIY home projects can be a fun and rewarding way to improve your home, but they can also be time-consuming and expensive. Especially for homeowners where there is ALWAYS some project to complete. If you’re looking for an affordable DIY project that can be completed in a weekend, here are a few ideas that may make a big impact on your home.
- Tried and true, get to painting. Painting is a relatively simple and affordable DIY project that can make a big impact on the look and feel of a room. Choose a new color for a fresh look, or paint over an existing color for a quick and easy update. Plan your painting project, have good gear and make sure to have a canvas tarp (plastic does not soak up paint).
- This project may take you the whole weekend or spill into the next, but If your kitchen cabinets look a bit tired, consider refinishing them. This can give your kitchen a whole new look without the cost of new cabinets. A new color can completely change the feel of how old your kitchen is. For many homeowners, this is a good stopgap while saving up for a new kitchen or to source up their home for a sale.
- Let there be LIGHT!!! Updating a light fixture can be a quick and easy way to add some style and character to a room. Choose a new fixture that complements your decor, and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation. As with any DIY job, make sure you are capable of completing the job at your own risk or hire a pro. Especially with electrical work.
- Add some landscaping to make your outdoor space more enjoyable or to boost your curb appeal for a faster sale. Landscaping can add value to your home and make a lasting first impression. Consider planting flowers or shrubs or installing a small garden bed for herbs or vegetables. Be careful with fruiting trees. While they look beautiful, make sure you are prepared to harvest. Fruiting plants attract wildlife and can leave a rotting mess on your lawn.
- Build a piece of furniture. If you’re handy with woodworking or don’t mind assembling furniture, consider building an accent piece to add extra style to your home. You can find plans online or create your own design to suit your needs, and there are always boxes filled with 100s of pieces… just make sure to have allen wrenches.
By choosing an affordable DIY project that can be completed in a weekend, you can enjoy the benefits of home improvement without a big time or financial commitment. If you want more ideas for projects that homeowners can do in a weekend, we would love to hear from you.
80 Orville Dr. Suite 100 Bohemia, NY 11716